Monday, September 12, 2011

God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life’s Little Detours (2011) by Regina Brett

Amazon


            So after a rough summer, and just coming out of a fog of depression, I followed my heart and it lead me to Barnes and Nobles where it then lead me to the café and had me order a grande chai tea latte.  Yum!  And then my heart lead me to browse the store when I stumbled across this book in bright holy orange screaming with glory at me GOD NEVER BLINKS!  I was compelled to pick this book up and see what it was all about.  I opened it up to a lesson.  Lesson 31 No Matter How Good or How Bad a Situation Is, It Will Change.  Brett begins this lesson by quoting a friend for saying “Life is rough, wear a helmet.”  And I laughed to myself thinking, “Yeah, she got that one right.”
Flipping around many lesson titles caught my eye:  Lesson 20 When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.  Lesson 21 Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie.  Don’t save anything for a special occasion.  Today is special enough.  Lesson 23 Be eccentric now.  Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.  Lesson 27 Always choose life. Lesson 28 Forgive everyone everything.  Lesson 18 A writer is someone who writes.  If you want to be a writer, write (this lesson really made me laugh as Brett lists all the things that will not make you a writer and I can so relate to many of the things us writers do besides actually writing our novel)  Lesson 29 What other people think of you is none of your business.  Lesson 11 Make peace with your past so it doesn’t screw up your present.  Lesson 3 Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.  Lesson 4 Don’t take yourself so seriously.  No one else does.  Lesson 17 You can get through anything life hands you if you stay put in the day you are in and don’t jump ahead…  And the lessons go on and on.
Just standing there in the store briefly reading over different lessons that caught my eye also caught my heart, these lessons were making my heart swell and some were making me laugh, and some just made me feel included in the common events that effect all of humanity.  I knew right away I had to buy this book and I had to buy it now.  I did not care that I was going to pay full price for it.  I needed the lessons in this book and I wasn’t going to wait for Amazon to send it to me!
You don’t have to read this book in any particular order, although I started from the beginning after my jumping around in the store and read the book from lesson 1 to 50, but you can absolutely skip around to the lessons that grab you on any particular moment.  The lessons are short too, averaging around 4 to 5 pages.  They are perfect little snippets to remind you of who you are and how miraculous life is and how lucky we all are to witness it.  But really, if you are having a bad day this is the book for you.  It is the cure for bad days.
And just like what I experienced browsing this book in the store I experienced at home while reading.  My heart often swelled, I cried, and I laughed as I followed the lessons of Regina Brett’s life.  She openly and honestly shares her life, her joys, her success, and the mistakes she’s made.  She shares stories about the people in her life all shaping her lessons.  And her lessons encompass many topics such as saving money, sex, relationships, parenting, dealing with ones own parents, being angry, God, dropping out of college because of getting pregnant, surviving cancer, living life to the fullest, following your dreams, and even the law of attraction (thinking positive thoughts which will bring positive things into your life.  Read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne if you want to learn more about the law of attraction).
When I first starting reading this book one of my immediate thoughts was I should have picked up more copies.  I really think this is the kind of book that many people could benefit from reading or be comforted by reading.  Although Brett is religious and Christian, readers from any faith or no faith will enjoy this read because it speaks of the core of human understanding and life, which can be touched regardless of individual beliefs.
Also, this is a book that can be savored over time.  I enjoyed picking it up and reading a lesson or two and soaking those lessons up for a while before finding the book again at another time.  I would leave it here and there about the house.  Even my husband would pick it up and read from it from time to time; he also concurred that it was actually a really good book.
So I hope this book finds its way into your hands or the hands of someone who needs it and that it is enjoyed.

Happy Reading :)

~FindItGirl


After reading a book comprised of 50 life lessons it makes me wonder what my 50 life lessons would look like.  In fact I am tempted to write a 50 lesson book to pass down to my own kids one day.  If you are interested in one of my lessons read the previous blog post entitled My Number 1 Life Lesson:  Follow Your Heart and Everything ElseWill Fall Into Place


What are some of your life lessons?

No comments:

Post a Comment