Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Beginning of a Journey

The true beginning occurred when I consciously decided that I was meant to be something else, not a teacher.  I have to say I did not mind the students.  They were fun and interesting people.  I didn't mind my coworkers or the administration.  I did not mind getting up at quarter to six every morning to go to work.  I enjoyed being on a work schedule and making money.  But I just didn't love the core of what I was doing everyday, teaching English.  And it's not fair to the students and it was not fair to myself to be in a job that I didn't passionately love.  So I decided to quit at the end of the year.  About a month before the end of the year I was laid-off.

It's hard to lose your job even when you don't like it, even when you were planning on quitting anyway.  I felt lost for a while.  I gave myself time to just be, to think, to reflect, to enjoy life again, to reconnect with people I hadn't had time for, to reconnect with myself and my inner child, to spend more time with family.  For a while I couldn't even stand the idea of going back to work, any job, not even a library.  I just needed time to heal.  I understand not everyone has a choice, but doing something you don't like for years takes a toll on you and should be avoided like Superman avoids kryptonite.

Finally I became stronger again and the vision of what I wanted became sharp.  It was time to become a librarian.  And that's where I'm at now.  At the beginning of a journey.  I have asked for recommendations from people I admire and am in the process of applying to Library School.  Current mission:  Write a Personal Statement.

Shouldn't be a problem with my faithful sidekicks BookEnd and BookMark:
BookEnd
BookMark

No comments:

Post a Comment