Thursday, January 20, 2011

Matched (2010) by Ally Condie

Amazon.com
I'm trying to remember how it was I came across this book.  I think I saw it on Amazon.com.  Anyway, after reading a description about it I just had to read it.  Luckily I got it as a gift from my mother-in-law and dove into it right away.  The book is a dystopia.  It is set in the future in a "perfect" society.  The Society knows everything about everyone, including what job is best for individuals, what food is best for individuals, and which life partner will be best for individuals.  In short, the people residing in the Society never have to choose for themselves because everything is chosen perfectly for them.  The story is told from the point of view of seventeen year old Cassia.  She is being "matched" by the Society, meaning they are going to reveal to her who her husband will be.  The problem is that the Society accidentally reveals two boys!  What does this mean?  What will Cassia do?  Who will she choose?  Who is her true match?  You will have to read the book to find out!

It's a quick and easy read.  At first perhaps a little too easy, but a good book to read at night when you're tired and can't handle anything too complex.  The book is for the YA age group and will be much enjoyed I'm sure by any one aged 14-18 but is also enjoyable for adults.  Hey, if you've read Harry Potter and Twilight why not this?  Also, if you've enjoyed books like The Giver you'll like this and you can think of it as a young persons G rated version of 1984.

I didn't feel this way in the beginning but as I read more and more of the story I began to feel I was having a love affair with this book.  It was easy for me to fall in love with the characters and it was easy for me to put myself in the place of the main character and feel what she felt.  It took me back to when I first met my boyfriend, now husband and brought back that rush of first love and the unknown, similar to what Twilight does for readers when they picture themselves as Bella and their lover as Edward.

Overall, I cannot strongly recommend this book.  I was interested and so just had to read it, but it is not one of the best books I have ever read nor is it a must read.  It was good for me, interesting and I enjoyed it.  I do think however, that a young person, the audience the book was intended for, would very much enjoy this book.

Happy Reading ;)

Note:  If you do happen to read this book and enjoy it you'll be happy to know that it is only the first of the matched trilogy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment