Saturday, January 8, 2011

Easy A (2010) Gets an A+

AWESOME FILM!!!!!  Fun and lighthearted!  I loved the cast:  Stanley Tucci (my fav), Thomas Haden Church (also seen in Sideways 2004), Patricia Clarkson, Lisa Kudrow, Amanda Bynes, and Emma Stone!  The cinematic techniques used in the film were also interesting to the eye.  I loved how when rumors were being spread the camera would move swiftly through the student body and then pause on a group of students receiving a rumor via cell phone.  Emma Stone rocked as Olive.  Her sharp, witty humor was incredibly amusing.  I found my self laughing out loud at many scenes.  The colors of the film were also visually striking.  There were scenes of bright oranges hanging off trees in California vineyards.  The school colors were a wonderful combination of bright blue and yellow.  This movie made me want to go back to California and *gasp* maybe even high school!

If you suffered through or maybe even enjoyed reading The Scarlet Letter you will be interested to know that this movie was adapted from the book (maybe you guessed from the title).  But don't worry if you haven't read the book, there's no need in order to enjoy this movie.  However the movie may prompt some interest in reading it.  It's a difficult text but after getting through it myself I found it to be a great story.  Sex, Adultery, Shipwrecks, Indians, Baby's out of Wedlock, Priests!

Also - must note on the music!  Great!  How can you not like Pocketful of Sunshine, Don't Cha, and Don't You (Forget About Me)!

One Last Thing:  I had the honor of teaching The Scarlet Letter to my high school students (back when I was a teacher).  It was painful for them getting through this book so I hope they get to go out and reward themselves by watching this awesome film!


No comments:

Post a Comment